Sunday, November 9, 2008

Tatami

Tatami are Japanese straw mats that they put on the floor and then sit on them. I find restaurants with tatami particularly exciting, it gives another dimension to the experience of enjoying Japanese food. In my opinion it is really ellegant when a waitress comes, kneels on both her knes on the floor and puts a tray with food on your table.

Yesterday I went to a restaurant that specializes in tempura - this is deep fried battered vegetables and seefood. I immediately made a mistake by pouring soya sauce into a little bowl that was meant for another sauce, and when the waitress notices, she immediately brought me a new one. What do I know!!


This was a couple sitting next to me. I took a photo of them, they took a photo of me. A blond girl sitting on tatami and pouring sauces into wrong bowls - must be interesting for them, too.

3 comments:

milton said...

Vidiva, da uživaš. Kar tako naprej, pa še pojačaj.

Ben said...

Haha, even old ladies do the victory sign!!! It is nice the man is doing thumbs up. I had a big group dinner with Sony and we had our own room with two members of staff... it was like the final scene of Kill Bill 1. As you say it was really elegant and refined and peaceful, dining became a ceremony almost... although we were all drunk on Sake so I think we spoiled it a bit! Good to see you are being braver than me and going to restaurants on your own!

Tina said...

I still haven't tried Sake! On Friday they are preparing a welcome party for me, maybe there will be Sake, too .