Saturday, November 8, 2008

Natto and dango

People from the lab take me for lunch every day and they put a lot of effort into introducing me to Japanese food. Today I've tried natto, which are sticky fermented soya beans. It has really bad smell and quite a stong taste, so they didn't expect me to like it. But it was pretty good I think. Except that it's so sticky that you can't get it off your chopsticks (there are endless "strings" connecting chopsticks and your mouth) - I tried to tear them with my fingers and it made things even worse. And my hands smelled! Of course the Japanese were quick with bringing me napkins.

Natto

And for the desert after my dinner I had dango. Round balls made from rice and flour and covered with syrup made of sugar and soya sauce. Very sweet and delicious.

Dango

6 comments:

Paul said...

Miu loves Natto, I however do not! Say did you meet up with her yet?

Tom said...

wow that looks nice!

Tina said...

Paul: I haven't met Miu yet... didn't have any time during the week. But I hope this weekend or next weekend. I'm really excited about it, it's been a long time :)

Tom: It does, doesn't it? They have many different types of dango, I have to try more of them.

Boza said...

Danes gledam se enkrat, pa se mi kar sline cedijo. Zdaj bi dango. Aja, zdaj bo cas za kosilo, je ze toliko ura.

Ana said...

Kako sočne slikce! Njamsi-bamsi!
Moja sodelavka Nives študira japonščino in je bla že 2x, kar nori, ko je govora o japonski hrani :)

Tina said...

Ja cist verjamem. Japonska hrana je res dobra.