Thursday, November 13, 2008

Matcha tea latte

Tired from the whole day of sightseeing last Saturday I wanted to sit down somewhere and get some rest. And I saw Starbucks. I felt guilty for going to Starbucks in Japan, as I normally agree with my father's motto "When in a new country, see new things, try new things, taste new things, feel new things. Employ all your senses." So I promised myself at least to try the strangest thing I find on the menu.

After entering I immediately saw lots of fluorescent green "coffees" on tables. I had to try it! I ordered "matcha tea latte" - thick powdered green tea with milk. It was good, but way too sweet! Don't know, do they sell matcha tea latte in Starbucks in the UK?


That's what you get in place where they normally give away little milks. Looks more like cosmetics, or something for the bathroom. The big transparent one was thick liquid sugar. And the small one looked like milk, but again, didn't taste like milk. I never thought milks in Japan will be so full of surprises for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tina, pozdravljena, tudi mi z veseljem prebiramo tvoj blog. Zelo je zanimiv!!!
LP
teja

Anonymous said...

Živijo Tina!
Nvdušeni smo nad tvojim blogom in težko pričakujemmo novi prispevek. Upamo, da boš tokrat dobila naš komentar.
LP
darko

Tina said...

Zivjo Darko, zivjo Mateja!

Mi je oci sporocil, da vam je posredoval link to bloga! No, pa smo v stiku vsaj, ko sem na drugem koncu sveta, ce ze doma ne :) Me veseli, da vam je blog vsec, se kaj se oglasite.

Ben said...

Your obsession with milk reminds me of the opening chapter of a book I have about the science of food - it is very poetic and inspiring!

"What better subject for the first chapter than the food with which we all begin our lives? Humans are mammals, a word that means "creatures of the breast", and the first food that any mammal tastes is milk. Milk is food for the beginning eater, a gulpable essence distilled by the mother from her own more variable and challenging diet. When our ancestors took up dairying, they adopted the cow, the ewe and the goat as surrogate mothers. These creatures accomplish the miracle of turning meadow and straw into buckets of human nourishment. And their milk turned out to be an elemental fluid rich in possibility, just a step or two away from luxurious cream, fragrant golden butter, and a multitude of flavourful foods concocted by friendly microbes... A sip of milk itself or a scoop of ice cream can be a Proustian draft of youth's innocence and energy and possibility, while a morsel of fine cheese is a rich meditation on maturity, the fulfillment of possibility, the way of all flesh."