Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Akihabara

Akihabara: an Electic town neigbourhood. According to my guidebook, "nowhere in the world will you find such a range of electrical appliances, spending half a day flitting from store to noisy store may well be your nirvana". And Japanese are crazy about electrical appliances. Everyone from the lab always carries around their electronic dictionary.

Akihabara is also something like a "manga mecca". Manga are cartoon characters from comic books. Many Japanese otaku (geeks, obsessed with collecting something) are crazy about collecting everything about them. Normally they are just cartoon characters, but often they include underdressed women, too.

4 comments:

Paul said...

I mean it’s logical isn’t it, if you are a female who is going to battle hordes of horrible monsters surely the best way to go about it would be to use a ridiculously oversized sword/double-edged battle axe that’s larger than you are and to wear as few clothes as the Japanese entertainment ratings system will let you get away with?

Tina said...

Paul, are you an otaku as well? :)

Paul said...

Hahaha :) I hope not!

Say while you were in Akihabara did you see any people dressed up as these characters? I didn't see that many but I did see one guy wearing a costume not so dissimilar to those that the plastic girls are wearing in your second photo, AAAGGGGHHH! I want to erase that image from my memory!

Tina said...

I was hoping to see someone dressed like this, but I didn't :(