Friday, November 14, 2008

Soba

I realized I don't write much about the food I'm eating here. And eating food is actually one of my most enjoyable things here!! I love Japanese food.

It's amazing how many restaurants there are around campus. People from the lab take me to a different one every day. Here restaurants mostly specialize in one type of food. Sometimes it's only fish, sometimes only tempura, sometimes only ramen, sometimes only sushi... We mostly go to small cozy restaurants, with only a few things on the menu, and we often sit on tatami (I used to say "on the floor" but they corrected me!).

Today they took me for soba, buckwheet noodles. They thought me there are two types, hot and cold soba. The cold one is served in a traditional way, on zaru, I think it looks really pretty.


I haven't tried the cold one yet, today I had hot soba with a rice cake on top. I suspect they always on purpose choose something for me which is difficult to eat by chopsticks. Now that I've mastered how to eat the whole fish with bones, it seems they decided to go one level up (rice cake!).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oglašam se ti prvič, čeprav si dobila že kar nekaj komantarjev od Brede. Nisem bila jaz. Veš, jaz te zastopim "dljih" toliko, kot ti zastopiš japonsko. Ampak slikice pa zastopim. Ta hrana je prav mikavna in lepo je servirana. Drugo mi pa Miloš ob priliki razloži. Tina, lepo se imej, se še kaj oglasim.

milton said...

Kot vidiš, največ komentarjev je okrog tistih prispevkov, ko pišeš o hrani. Na to se najbolj razumemo.

Tina said...

Zivjo Breda! Ni problema, ti bom vse razlozila, ko pridem domov. :) In se vec slikc bom probala prilimat. Lep pozdrav.