Monday, November 17, 2008

Shinjuku

"Shinjuku is a place to sample a taste of Tokyo's cheery sensory overload" according to my guidebook. "Streetside video screens, push-and-shove crowds, flashing neon, discount shopping arcades, hostess clubs and seamy strip bars."

Believe me, after spending several hours in a museum and having eaten only a khaki and the last muesli bar I've brought from the UK, this kind of sensory overload is the last thing you want. All restaurants only in Japanese and all plastic food models ambiguous - is it chicken or pork (I don't eat pork)? The McDonalds over the road has never been more inviting. But I didn't give in. Risked a meal at a dodgy place, and I was ok and ready to roll.


I know I'm strange but I love huge displays and flashing neon lights. Why is there nothing like this in Ljubljana or London (does Piccadilly circus even count)?

1 comment:

milton said...

In late eigtees I was standing at Piccadilly and having a call with you and mom. I was told that there was a power cut in Ljubljana. I was wondering how Picadily would look without electricity.