Monday, November 17, 2008

Couchsurfing

When traveling alone, you meet lots of interesting people. Either they approach you or you approach them. In any case, you're much more open to establish contact than when you travel with someone else.

Last Sunday I randomly met a French girl on the street and we spend the day sightseeing together. And she told me about couchsurfing. Couchsurfing is a website where travelers can search for, and the locals offer a place to stay. I think it's great, not only because you save money on hotels, but you also have an opportunity to meet new interesting people, see how they live and learn about their culture.

I'm going to travel for 2 weeks around Japan in December and I decided I'm going to give this couchsurfing thing a try. In the evening I filled in my profile and emailed some couchsurfers from Kyoto (where I'm going to spend the first 4 days) and voila - the next morning I had a place to stay. With a French student doing a PhD at the University of Kyoto. And I'm excited I'm finally going to sleep on a futon.

p.s. Mom, dad, don't worry. If you register with www.couchsurfing.com, I can even send you a link to this guy's profile. And please don't tell the grandma. :)

8 comments:

milton said...

NO commment!

Ana said...

I've tried it! So cool!

Tina said...

Where?

Anonymous said...

I also joined couchsurfing when I was away in the summer. I slept on a girl's sofabed for two nights in Verona. The two days I spent there were two of the best of my trip! :) And tomorrow I am having two couchsurfers staying here in London on my sofa - it is my first time as a host but hopefully it will be alright! :) So yeah do not hesitate to go for it - especially in Japan they will treat you like a princess (which is what you deserve! ;-) ) xxxx

Tina said...

Hi Ino! Oh really, that's great!! I'm sorry I've only heard about it last week :) Hope you get some nice and interesting people in London today.

milton said...

Ti, tale kaučsrfing je pa zelo zanimiv. Malo sem pogledal po Internetu in našel enega celo v Cerknici.

Ko bomo stari,
da ne bomo sami,
bomo kauče na posodo dajali.

(če bomo sploh koga trpeli poleg sebe)

sleepypig said...

Hi Tina! My sis and I couch-surfed in Spain and it was great because we had an excellent host. My sister suggested it and at first I was also suspicious but it was ok. I love your blog, it's really fascinating and quite hilarious. Good to know that you're enjoying yourself too.

Tina said...

Hi Suan, really nice to hear from you!

I'm positively surprised that so many people here have done couchsurfing before. Great! I hope I have such a nice experience as well.