Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Tokyo vs London metro

I don't know what I was expecting, but Tokyo underground is not bad at all!

Compared to London, I can almost always have a sit here. The trains much broader and cleaner. They are also longer, this is the platform:


And they have special cars only for women. I've heard men like to grab women in a crowd. But it has never happened to me.

One strange thing here is that lines belong to different companies. So when you change them, you sometimes have to swipe out of the gate and then back in. And transfers are long. When you get out of the train, it tells you how many meters you need to walk to change the line. An sometimes it's 500m, 600m!

Another interesting sign:

4 comments:

Boza said...

Nobene gužve ni na tej postaji, a trenutno vsi delajo? :)

Paul said...

Tokyo metro wins! :)

Ben said...

I like the way the Women Only sign is decorated with flowers! They could put vases of real flowers in the carriage to really make it clear. I liked the Tokyo tube because it was air conditioned, when it was 35C outside. But I don't like the long changes and different companies... you have to pay to switch lines. Or do they have some universal card now? Also some maps only have certain companies' lines on, very confusing.

Tina said...

Yes they have a universal card, like an Oyster card, which work for all companies. But you still have to swipe out and swipe back in when changing trains.